-->

Directory

Monday, November 16, 2015

The Hunt: Dark Souls - Undead Parish


Last time, the Chosen Undead braved the dangers of Undead Burg. In this post, they push toward their first major goal to ring the Bell of Awakening in the Undead Parish.
via darksouls.wikia.com

The Undead Parish - Synopsis

The Undead Parish is the religious district of the Undead Burg, and was once an active center of worship for the Undead. This holy ground is also home to one of the two Bells of Awakening.

After slaying the Taurus Demon and dodging dragon fire, the Chosen Undead finds themselves in the Undead Parish. Here, they ganked a couple of Black Knights, got their weapons fixed up by the blacksmith Andre of Astora, sat with Siegmeyer of Catarina, did the danced with a Channeler, let Lautrec of Carim out of the cell he certainly didn't belong in, carved up a couple of Bell Gargoyles, rang the first Bell of Awakening (we must be halfway through the game, right?), and was judge by Oswald of Carim.


Andre of Astora

via darksouls.wikidot.com
"Well, you must be a new arrival.
I'm Andre, of Astora.
If you require smithing, then speak to me."

Andre of Astora is a blacksmith who works in the old church in the Undead Parish. He explains the importance of reinforcing to make weapons stronger and ascending weapons to change how their nature. He also gives a bit of information about the forbidden areas of Sen's Fortress and Darkroot that connect to the Undead Parish through the old church. He also lets the Chosen Undead know that they look pretty good compared to the average passerby. Ya know, the crazed Undead roaming around that try and kill you on sight. In Lordran, it's just nice not to have someone laugh at you.


Video
Dark Souls Lore - Answers (Gwyn's Firstborn, Ornstein and Smough) by EpicNameBro
This video discusses a variety of topics, and it marked to begin where Andre's current role in Dark Souls is, and what it may have been at one point during development. (Massive Spoilers)

Siegmeyer of Catarina

via darksouls.wikidot.com

"Mmm…mmm…Mm! Oh-hoh! Forgive me.. I was absorbed in thought. I am Siegmeyer of Catarina. 

Quite honestly, I have run flat up against a wall. Or, a gate, I should say. The thing just won't budge. No matter how long I wait. And, oh, have I waited! So, here I sit, in quite a pickle.

Weighing my options, so to speak! Hah hah hah hah!"


Siegmeyer is a knight from Catarina, easily recognized by the onion-esque armor that is the trademark of Catarinan knights. He is an adventurer whose travels have brought him to Lordran. He is a jolly and friendly fellow, for someone who is stuck. He has come to Lordran for adventure, but the closed gate at Sen's Fortress impedes his progress. Stumped, he is currently sitting around and trying to figure out what to do.

Videos Dark Souls Lore mini - Siegmeyer of Catarina by EpicNameBro
This video explores an interpretation of Siegmeyer's character and story. (Spoilers)
Dark Souls Lore - Siegmeyer by Silver Mont
This video explores an interpretation of Siegmeyer's character and story. (Spoilers)
Dark Souls Story ► Siegmeyer of Catarina  by VaatiVidya
This video explores an interpretation of Siegmeyer's character and story. (Spoilers)


Channeler

via darksouls.wikidot.com
The Channelers are agents of Seath, who venture out into Lordran for currently undiscovered reasons. Perhaps it is so that the blind dragon may see Lordran through them, or perhaps there is a more sinister purpose. The Chosen Undead encounters their first Channeler on the second floor of the new church, where they dance and cast spells. Perhaps this channeler left because Seath did not dance, and if he doesn't dance (and there is no lore to support that he dances), then this channeler left him behind. Thank you for reading my blog, and I will understand if you have now stopped.






Lautrec of Carim

via darksouls.wikidot.com
"Oh, still human are you?
Then I am in luck. Could you help me?
As you can see I am stuck, without recourse.
Please, I have duties to fulfil, and I will reward you handsomely.
Well? I am certain you stand to benefit."

Lautrec of Carim is a knight who serves the goddess Fina.  The Chosen Undead first encounters him as they make their way to the roof of the new church. He is locked away in a cell, and implores CU to release him. After doing so, he offers the Chosen Undead a future reward for their help, and leaves toward Firelink Shrine so that he can get back to work…Keh heh heh heh…

Videos
Dark Souls Story ► Lautrec the "Embraced" by VaatiVidya
This video explores Lautrec's character and story. (Spoilers)
Dark Souls Lore - Lautrec of Carim by Silver Mont
This video explores Lautrec's character and story. (Spoilers)

Article
This article examines a different motivation behind Lautrec's actions. (Spoilers)


Bell Gargoyles

via darksouls.wikidot.com
The Bell Gargoyles are the guardians of the first Bell of Awakening that is found in the tower atop the new church. The gargoyles are magically created creatures that oppose any undead who attempt to ring the bell, fighting any who attempt to cross the roof to gain access to the belltower. It seems likely that they are a creation of the gods, as gargoyles can also be found in Anor Londo. In this case, it seems likely that they are meant as a test to prove the worth of any who would try and claim the title of Chosen Undead. 





Oswald of Carim


"Greetings. I am Oswald of Carim, the pardoner. Thou art a friend. For thee, a warm welcome. Cometh thou to confess? Or to accuse? For indeed all sin is my domain."



Oswald of Carim is a pardoner who serves Velka, the goddess of Sin. He will wipe the slate clean for any who have sinned (which is typically murder in this world), for a price. As with anything in Lordran, it will cost souls. The Chosen Undead has a brief conversation with this man who appears after the Bell of Awakening has been rung, but Oswald very bluntly explains that Petrus, the Cleric CU met in Firelink, is drenched in sin. Perhaps the Chosen Undead ought to head back to Firelink Shrine and ask him, Well! What is it (that you have done)? 

Video
Dark Souls Lore - Oswald of Carim by Silver Mont

Community Content


Video
Dark Souls Lands - Undead Burg, Undead Parish, and the Undead Church by DaveControl
Dave analyzes the ecology of the Undead Burg. (spoilers)

Podcasts
Episode 3: The Undead Parish and Lower Undead Burg by Bonfireside Chat
This episode covers the Undead Parish as well as the Lower Undead Burg.

Other Content
Paddy and CJ discuss their experiences of playing through the Undead Parish.
James struggles his way through the Undead Parish, and David tries to provide advice.


Additional Thoughts

One thing that I think is universally appreciated about this area, and a design touch that is worth bringing up, is how you can hear the Bell of Awakening when someone in another world rings it. There may be no lore or story explanation, but I think it is a wonderful detail that I shows a level of care that I hope Dark Souls 3 also possesses. Dark Souls is a game filled with details and touches that serve to help build the world and atmosphere, and it results in a much richer world that motivates the player to pay careful attention and drink in the world. 

Gargoyles and quirky blacksmiths are mainstays of the series, and the other characters met in the Undead Parish will go onto to have storylines that are both affecting and effect the story of the Chosen Undead in non-trivial ways. That being said, I think much of the information in this post will not be terribly important for Dark Souls 3 beyond understanding possible references that could be made. For that reason, I am calling the information in this post:






Thanks for reading this article! Any feedback or comments are massively appreciated. The next post will come out November 23rd, and will be covering the Depths.

No comments:

Post a Comment